This hair testing kit provides all you need to test a sample of hair for longer term historic alcohol use.
We work with one of the UK’s leading testing laboratories to provide hair sample analysis with a fast turnaround (results usually returned within 3 days).
Hair testing is considered one of the most accurate laboratory tests for drugs and alcohol as it is almost impossible to cheat. A hair sample of around 5-millimetre thickness is taken from the head or body of the donor and sent to the laboratory in the self addressed, tamper-proof envelope supplied with this kit.
What is FAEE?
Fatty Acid Ethyl Esters (FAEE) hair testing is designed to show a long-term (10 months to 2 years) alcohol use. It is important to note that from the time an individual stops the consumption of alcohol, the levels of FAEE can rise, before dropping 6-9 months after abstinence has commenced.
A basic level of FAEE is measured in everyone’s hair, even of those who are teetotal. Testing for both FAEE and EtG complement one an other with respect to their different sensitivity to hair cosmetics – for example, false positive FAEE results due to use of hair cosmetics containing ethanol would not be confirmed because the same specimen would have a negative EtG result.
Please note that although body hair can be used for analysis, a minimum of 1cm from root is required and Axilla (underarm) hair CANNOT be used for alcohol detection.
Advantages of hair sample analysis:
- Exceptionally difficult to cheat
- Indicates patterns or alcohol use over weeks and months
- Highly sensitive; highly accurate
- Simple collection process
Disadvantages of hair sample analysis:
- Hair tests cannot precisely determine the quantity of alcohol consumed by the donor
- Samples cannot indicate substance use less than 7 days after the incident
- If analysis is required for legal/court requirements, kit CANNOT be sent direct to donor