This hair testing kit provides all you need to test a sample of hair for historic alcohol use.
We work with one of the UK’s leading testing laboratories to provide hair sample analysis with a fast turnaround (results usually returned within 3 days).
Hair testing is considered one of the most accurate laboratory tests for drugs and alcohol as it is almost impossible to cheat. A hair sample of around 5-millimetre thickness is taken from the head or body of the donor and sent to the laboratory in the self addressed, tamper-proof envelope supplied with this kit.
The detection window for hair testing is 7 days–6 months.
What is EtG?
EtG is Ethyl Glucorinide. It is produced through non-oxidative metabolism in the liver and through a reaction that is catalysed by isoenzymes. EtG appears in blood less than 45 minutes after alcohol consumption and in urine in less than 60 minutes. EtG also accumulates in the hair and this allows for a larger window of time for alcohol consumption detection, enabling EtG to be used as a long-term alcohol marker.
EtG testing is the most reliable hair test when determining the levels of alcohol consumed. The EtG test is designed to show a change in pattern of alcohol consumption. From the time that an individual stops drinking, the levels of EtG in the hair decreases in a linear pattern over 3-6 months.
Advantages of hair sample analysis:
- Exceptionally difficult to cheat
- Indicates patterns or alcohol use over weeks and months
- Highly sensitive; highly accurate
- Simple, non-invasive collection
Disadvantages of hair sample analysis:
- Hair tests cannot precisely determine the quantity of alcohol consumed by the donor
- Samples cannot indicate substance use less than 7 days after the incident
- There are some studies that show chemical treatments and bleaching reduce the levels of EtG in the hair, therefore results should be carefully interpreted